Regular visitors to the railway station will agree with me that the loud sound of locomotive engines, horns, whistles, the commotion in rail yards, the clanging and screeching wheels of a train, and the general operating environment can lead to hearing problems and even deafness. Even if you spend a few minutes at the train station, your hearing will be affected one way or another without the proper hearing protection headphones or earmuffs. One can’t help but imagine how terrible it must be for people who work long shifts around railways or train stations. How much more will those locomotive train engine operators have to put up with to avoid becoming deaf?
When noise exposure is more than or equal to an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) of 85 decibels (dB(A)), the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) requires railroad companies to provide hearing protection to their workers. Protective hearing aids of different forms, sizes, and colors have been developed and produced to help railway and train, station employees.
Why not grab a bottle of soda and read to the end to find out which hearing protections for railway workers are beneficial to you and your loved one!
The Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC offers a new vista where super sound & technological intelligence meet. If you’re looking for sweet sounds, go no further than these headphones, which provide just that. You may listen to audiobooks, music or watch movies to relax.
The fascinating feature of these headphones is whether Active Noise Cancelling is on or not; the sound produced is would still come out excellent. With such great sound and ANC capabilities, a train operator and railway worker can concentrate better at the job with few distractions from other train engines and train station operations.
With the assistance of the revolutionary MOSAYC sound customization feature, this hearing protection device is customizable to fit the specific listening requirements of the headphone user.
Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC Traveller Bluetooth Headphones with ANC has the newest audio codecs, including but not limited to; AAC, aptX Low Latency, and Qualcomm. It offers exceptional sound quality on Android and iOS devices while sounding great even without the ANC or the cable.
With or without ANC, the headphones’ battery life is about 46 hours. The Qualcomm cVc feature produces optimal voice clarity, making for accessible and easy communication of vital information like train routes, delays, or accidents.
Interestingly, German and English voice prompts are offered with this model. With such great features, nothing can prevent the train engine operator, railway worker, or train station worker from phoning home, wherever you are!
Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC Traveller Bluetooth Headphones have beautiful and colorful LEDs inside them that assist in their easy operation. Remove them out of the pack to check the battery level, Bluetooth connection, or even which side is left and right. While wearing Beyerdynamic headphones, your train passengers and other railway workers will not be bothered by the flashing or lighted status indicator. The touchpad on the right ear cup allows for easy swipe control as well.
- Easy to customize and personalize sounds with MOSAYC sound innovation
- Great sound quality.
- Excellent Active Noise Canceling feature
- Features light-guide system indicators for battery life and Bluetooth connection status.
Howard Leight Impact Sports Electronic Shooting Earmuffs
The Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Shooting Earmuff can protect you from hazardous noise connected to the railway and train station environment. With a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 22dB, the earmuff uses built-in microphones. These microphones amplify ambient sounds to as safe as 82dB level.
Among other exciting benefits, this hearing protection earmuff allows you to hear essential commands and crucial environmental sounds when on the train station or in a high sound-producing environment like that produced on a railway.
The intriguing thing about the Howard Leight Impact Sport Shooting Earmuff is that it can listen actively and automatically stop amplification when loud impulse sound exceeds 82dB. No doubt railway workers can use this gadget.
- It comes with a battery that delivers approximately 350 hours of usage with an automatic shut-off feature to help save battery power!
- It has a padded headband that features telescopic height adjustments.
- It offers an external audio jack, so you connect the earmuff to a music device or scanner or another audio source as well.
- Comfortable and customized fit.
- Offers Air Flow Control Technology that allows for a slim ear cup design.
- All Howard Leight Electronic Earmuffs and safety eyewear are compatible for use with each other.
- Quit expensive to purchase one.
Procase Professional Safety Earmuffs
This Professional Safety- EarMuffs by Procase have a noise reduction rating of 26dB thanks to the noise-dampening sponge material used in its construction. The hearing device is ANSI certified and has filters that efficiently filter unwanted or harmful sounds to a minimum level for hearing protection.
Another great feature of the process earmuff is the pressure diffuser padded headband. It provides extended comfort while also reducing pressure and bulk weight of the earmuffs.
We all know that train stations and railway workers put in long stressful work hours around loud train engines and harmful workplace sounds. Having excellent protection for your ears like the Professional Safety- EarMuffs by Procase will prolong your hearing and make your hearing work more enjoyable.
Comfort and security are guaranteed with the ProCase Professional Safety Ear Muffs’ adjustable headband and plush ear cups. These fashionable hearing protectors are ideal when working with heavy equipment like a locomotive train engine. The earmuffs are also great for shooting, hunting, and they can even be worn when studying or working on carpentry projects.
- It offers Strong BDS-shell and thicker noise-dampening foam construction.
- It has a Noise Reduction Rating of 28dB, which efficiently filters out a lot of noise.
- An ergonomic headband with soft cushioning is included in this 2-pack of Noise-Canceling headphones, reducing strain on your head and allowing you to enjoy music in greater comfort.
- It has Adjustable headbands.
- The ear cups are made with soft form, rotate 360, and are adjustable.
- It has a compact foldable design that makes storage and transportation a breeze.
- Maximum comfort without adding much weight to the wearer.
- The fragile design is a significant issue as it affects the durability of this product.
3M H10A Peltor Optime 105 Over the Head Earmuff
The Over-the-head 3M Peltor Optime 105 Earmuffs are specially designed to provide excellent hearing protection in situations with high-noise exposures of up to 105 dBA. In addition to the increased bulk and volume, the 3M Optime earmuff includes a unique “double shell” earcup design (two cups linked through the inner foam layer) that enhances noise suppression across the whole low/high frequency. This function comes in handy for those railway workers that have to spend a great deal of their workweek around loud train engine and screeching wheels whenever the train operator applies the brakes at the stop terminal.
In addition to resisting warping and bending from vigorous use, the Over-the-head 3M Peltor Optime 105 Earmuffs is lightweight with a stainless steel headband that can evenly spread the weight for a comfortable fit. The flexible earcup of these earmuffs for railway workers has a pivot point that operates in combination with the thin headband to provide the best possible fit and comfort for any railroad worker. Furthermore, to create a sound barrier against noise, 3M Peltor Optime earmuffs are fitted with soft liquid and foam-filled cushions.
- Comfortable and secure fit.
- Durable and easy to use.
- Resist bending and warping.
- Liquid and foam-filled cushions for extended use.
- It has a color-coded system for detecting the presence of regulatory compliance
- Iit offers Up to 105 decibels loudness levels.
- A little tight for the average head size.
Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
The Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones are top-of-the-line with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa integration. The Bose Quietcomfort earmuff showcases volume-optimized equalizers for a well-balanced music and sound experience for the railway worker.
Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless headphones are fabulous for railway workers because they feature noise-canceling dual microphone technology so that you can make and receive calls clearly, even in a noisy environment like a train station.
The Bluetooth and NFC connection with voice instructions make it simple to connect to your devices wirelessly. If you have a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device, you can use your voice to communicate, receive answers, and control your day, all with the push of a button.
The railway worker can use these headphones to talk to their phone’s built-in virtual assistant like Siri. The possibilities are endless when people travel, work, exercise, play, and study in new ways thanks to cutting-edge technologies of the Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones.
This Bose canceling headphone is great for an environment with locomotive engines like you may find at train stations because they’re made of high-quality materials; you can use these comfy headphones all day. Interestingly, the rechargeable lithium-ion battery in these wireless headphones allows you to listen to music for up to 20 hours on a single charge.
I love how easy it is to connect the supplied audio connection to a power source so you can continue listening without worrying about running out of juice. Use the Bose Connect app to get access to additional features and future upgrades.
- It features a wireless connection as well as a noise-canceling dual-mic technology.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 20 hours of play on a single charge
- Great Noise Cancellation features
- Great voice and call quality
- Built-in voice assistant
- Excellent wireless connection
- Durable, high-quality material
SureFire - EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus Filtered Earplugs
It is possible to safeguard your hearing with the Surefire – EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus Filtered Earplugs without affecting your ability to hear normal noises and conversations at your workplace. The earplug’s triple-flanged stem design can also fit into larger ear canals and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. However, sounds at safe levels are allowed to pass through into the ear canal. At the same time, potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced through a proprietary design that incorporates a special noise-reducing filter.
In other words, the EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus earplugs lower dangerous sound levels while at the same time allowing ambient sound and conversation to be heard by its user.
The SureFire Sonic Defenders Filtered Earplugs include revolutionary EarLock outer rings with seven distinct grip points to keep the earplugs in place. The low-profile design enables it to be worn comfortably beneath a helmet, cap, headset, or mask, even while talking on the phone.
- These filtered earplugs by SureFire are a perfect fit for railways, industrial, construction and safety jobs since it provides all-day comfort away from the hazardous noise. Similarly, EP4 Sonic Defenders minimize hazardous noise while enabling safe-level instructions, ambient noises, and conversations to be heard.
- The EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus is compatible with radio communication systems.
- Because the EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus is made from hypoallergenic polymer, it gives all-day-long comfort and an extended product life (up to 6+ months, depending on usage and care.
- It features a low-profile design, enabling compatibility with other Personal protection equipment for the increase and maximum protection of the railway worker.
- Another unbelievable advantage of this hearing device is that it weighs only about 0.106 ounces despite its size and provides two levels of protection with filter caps in or out.
- It is crucial to note that the product may contain chemicals known to California to cause cancer, congenital disabilities, or other reproductive harm.
Sennheiser MB 660 MS (507093) - Wireless Headset
When it comes to business-grade communication and superior sound quality, employees need the Sennheiser MB 660 Wireless headset. It’s a wireless, UC-certified, adaptive ANC headset.
The NoiseGard Hybrid adaptive active noise cancellation technology from Sennheiser continuously scans the surrounding environment for unwanted noise sources. It adjusts the level of noise reduction in your headset to an acceptable level which is great for train engine operators because they experience various levels of sounds while at work.
Another remarkable feature is the SpeakFocus technology, with three digital microphones that deliver crystal clear sound, making it easy for listeners to hear what you are saying. The comfortable fit of the Sennheiser MB 660 MS (507093) – Wireless Headset provides you with more extended listening ability without fatigue.
The ear-shaped cups further provide you with the best in comfort, and the fold-able design of the headset makes it easy to wear around your neck when the headset is not in use. Interestingly, you can enjoy up to 30 hours of seamless communications with the high-grade battery plus a two-year peace of mind warranty.
- Seamless Bluetooth connectivity, sleek touchpad call, and media controls.
- Up to 30 incredible hours of battery time.
- Advanced Own-Voice Detection capacity.
- Speak-Focus Technology allows three (3) digital microphones to deliver crystal clear sound, regardless of background noise.
- Make and receive calls quickly.
- The Sennheiser MB 660 MS (507093) ‘s touchpad control with context-sensitive swipes, taps, and holds may sometimes be too demanding for new users to find fiddle with while working.
- Controls buttons are pretty small and sometimes not easy to discover, let alone see their function and operate them while wearing work gloves.
Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC Bluetooth Dual-Ear (Stereo) Headset
The Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC Bluetooth headset aims to cancel and reduce harmful sounds like a locomotive train engine. An excellent feature of this noise-canceling and hearing protection headset is that it has dual-paired omnidirectional microphones with digital signal processing (DSP) technology designed to increase your voice while at the same time reducing background noise. Such a feature ensures clear communications between railway or train station workers and their home office even during stressful times like train accidents.
The Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC Bluetooth Headset has a fantastic “anti-startle” feature that detects and cancels sudden increases in signal levels during calls!
You can customize the active noise canceling feature, depending on your preferred level. Also, the buttons can be selected to answer or close calls, play music, and mute or unmute the microphone!
- Great for noise reduction on the railway
- It offers up to 24 hours of listening time and 20 hours of talk time.
- It is compatible with Personal computers and laptops, mobile devices, and Bluetooth-enabled desk phones
- Ability to customize the noise cancellation feature depending on the user’s preferred level.
- Dual-paired omnidirectional microphones with digital signal processing (DSP) technology.
- The headset is also supported/compatible with various devices such as Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, and other apps developed by vendors, including Zoom, Avaya, Google Cloud, and Cisco.
- Fragile design
Decibel Defense Professional Safety Ear Muffs
Decibel Defense earplugs are excellent for use by railway workers because they provide excellent noise isolation. I love the fact that these earmuffs feature a smooth, cushioned cell design in an ultra-comfortable headband for guaranteed longer hours of comfort.
The design is small and foldable, which makes it easy to use and carry. The earmuffs have a noise reduction rating of 37dB and are ANSI and CE certified for ear protection. They are ideal for fireworks, construction work, lawn maintenance, car racing, and sports events, amongst others.
Whatever event you find yourself in, remember that the sound-dampening capabilities of your Decibel Defense headphones are unmatched.
- Great noise reduction capabilities
- Great for adults and kids
- Great customer care
- Durable and comfortable to use
- Comfortable headband
- Smooth padded cell design
- Bulky look
Sleek Walkers Razor Slim Passive Ultra-High Low-Profile 27dB Earmuffs
The sleek Walker’s Razor Slim Passive Earmuffs is manufactured by Walker’s Game Ear in the United States. It is built with a composite shell with sound-dampening functions and an NRR of 27dB without sacrificing protection. Also, the lightweight and portable design ensures a noise-free work experience on the train tracks.
It is fascinating to note that the Walker’s Razor Slim Passive Earmuffs feature rubberized cups and a metal wire frame designed for varying adjustability and comfort during general short-term use or during any long-term use.
- Ultra low-profile, lightweight, slim design with rubberized ear cups.
- Noise Reduction Rating of 27dB.
- Compactly folds up for easy transport and storage.
- Features composite shell sound dampening housing with a comfortable headband with a metal wireframe.
- It may not be compact enough for some uses.
3M WorkTunes Connect Hearing Protector with Bluetooth Technology
The 3M WorkTunes Wireless Hearing Protector combines a contemporary and ergonomic appearance with high-quality audio sound quality. With this cutting-edge hearing device for railroad workers, you can make and receive phone conversations with ease.
While offering excellent protection for your ears in loud settings, these headphones simultaneously offer Bluetooth Wireless Technology, allowing you to stream entertainment from your smartphone or other mobile devices with ease.
The lightweight and low-profile designs are intentional design choices as they provide extra comfort.
I love the hat-compatible headband and super-soft ear cushions, making the 3M WorkTunes Wireless Hearing Protector an excellent choice for long-term use. 3M Hearing Protector makes your job more fun and, most importantly, more comfortable, whether you’re operating a locomotive train, lawn mowing, or operating heavy tools like a power saw.
Low-profile ear cups and soft ear cushions provide a secure fit.
Another great feature of these hearing protection headphones that is good for railway and train operators is the that it has a low-battery status indicator to let you know when its time to charge your favorite work headphones. It comes equipped with a USB charging cable for an easy charge while been powered by a built-in battery that is fully rechargeable.
For non-compatible Bluetooth devices, you can use a 3.5 mm audio cord ( not included) for all your analog and wired connection as needed. The battery life lasts up to 30 work hours on a single charge which is plenty for a long shift.
The use of this noise-canceling hearing aid helps guard against noise-induced hearing loss and other hearing problems related to working on a railway, train station, and operating loud locomotive train engines. Furthermore, failure to use hearing protection while around loud noises or utilize it properly may lead to hearing problems or other health problems down the road.
- Easy to operate and use
- Comfortable fit and experience
- Built-in solid battery
- Durable and flexible headband
- Great sound and noise reduction functionality
- Built-in Mic to make and receive calls
- It has a bulky look
Dr.meter 28dB Noise Reduction Safety Earmuffs
Dr.meter 28dB Noise Reduction Safety Earmuffs are certified to reduce hazardous noise levels from causing hearing damage to your hearing. These earmuffs are great for operating heavy machines like a train engine, shooting, construction sites, hunting, concerts, and many more activities that may cause hearing loss.
The well-cushioned and padded ear cups provide your ears with improved protection against ear damage. Similarly, they will also be comfortable to use for extended periods due to the hearing protection the hearing earmuff provides.
The adjustable headband of the Dr.meter Noise Reduction Safety Earmuffs fits various hairstyles, head shapes, and sizes very well.
With an excellent soundproof design, you can block out loud noises from various activities, including yard or garden work, construction work, carpentry, or when shooting at the range.
I was excited to know that this model has 2 solid layers of dampening foam, a high-quality dual housing shell with a tight seal to keep out unwanted noise. Dr.meter Ear Muffs offers 34dB of high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), which improves noise reduction and noise resonance compared to earplugs. Protect your hearing and peace of mind with Dr.Meter!
- Adjustable headband or size and good fit
- Padded soft cushions for ear comfort
- It offers an all-in-one fit
- It comes with a storage bag for easy storage.
- Great for kids because of its friendly design
- Noise reduction functions might be poor with events that produce loud sounds.
The intended use determines the hearing protection product to purchase. Because railway stations are usually high noise-producing areas, you need to look out for the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of the ear protective device’s quality, durability, ease of usage, and maintenance.
Benefits of hearing protection for Railway workers
The benefits of hearing protection for railway or train station workers are too numerous to mention. Noise pollution affects millions daily, and it can cause Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL).
Hearing loss is one of the most common side effects of being exposed to loud noises. People of all ages, particularly children, may be affected by these health issues. Consequently, to avoid these resultant effects, it is important to be practicable and wear ear protective devices like headphones and earmuffs while working at the railway or train station.
Care, Maintenance, and Storage Tips:
Since headphones, earmuffs, and earplugs are electronic devices, it is essential to avoid allowing them to get soaked in water(especially the sound-attenuating material), as water can cause severe damage to its operational pars and smooth functionality. However, you can wash your earmuffs with a mild liquid detergent in warm water and then rinse them in clean, warm water. After which, you then place them on a clean surface to air dry after cleaning.
It is also vital to exercise appreciable care in handling these devices. Importantly, it is crucial to exercise care so you don’t damage the battery terminals whenever you replace them.
Supposedly your hearing protection device becomes faulty; it is advisable to return it to the place of purchase and activate your claim for warranty protection (if you are still within the warranty window). If you are no longer covered by warranty, you still must allow competent hands to handle the repairs to avoid further complications and irreparable damage. Storage is usually in a cool, dry place, and it is always advisable to buy a carrying case for your headset.
Factors to Consider Before Buying:
Certain vital factors you have to consider before buying any of the above gadgets are not exhaustive, some of which include
The cost: Before setting out to buy any of these devices, you might need to check out the price from the manufacturer or the online store.
Quality: The quality of a product is most often than not seen in the price, such that the higher the price, the better the comfort and luxury and vice versa.
Maintenance: Another important factor to consider is maintenance. It is clear that apart from the quality, another factor that can elongate the lifespan of any of these products is the level of quality maintenance devoted to them. Hence you might need to find out first how tasking or easy it is in maintaining a particular brand compared to another? Then, would you have the time and energy to clean it up after use constantly? The earlier you consider these factors, the better!
Thank you for reading this review article to this stage. We have reviewed some of the Best-rated Hearing Protection for Railways and Train station workers. In this piece, we have also had cause to consider the benefits of hearing protection for railway workers, care maintenance and storage tips, and of course, some factors to consider before buying. On a final note, the power to protect yourself from hearing loss is in your hands. I trust you to make the right decision today!
The products related to this Article